- This event has passed.
Shasta Ascension Backcountry Race
January 18 @ 10:00 AM - 4:00 PM$25
The Friends of the Mount Shasta Avalanche Center and the Mount Shasta Ski Park present the 7th annual Shasta Ascension, a backcountry ski and splitboard race. It follows a traditional ski-mo (ski mountaineering) format of a timed event that follows an established trail through challenging winter alpine terrain while passing through a series of checkpoints. Racers climb and descend under their own power using backcountry skiing equipment and techniques.
Randonee, telemark, and split boards are welcome. Racers should be comfortable climbing and descending advanced terrain.
This year’s costume theme is Big Hair and Shoulder Pads- 80’s theme! Dust off your duds and get down to race up the mountain in support of the Avalanche Center! Prizes will be given for best costume!
- Pre-registration is now open! Visit https://raceroster.com/events/2020/28663/shasta-ascension-backcountry-race to complete online registration today!
- Also open from 7:00 AM to 9:30 AM the day of the event.
- Entrance fee is $25 + processing fee online or $30 the day of the event
- Divisions for men and women:
- 18 years and under
- 19-29 years
- 30- 39 years
- 40-49 years
- 50-59 years
- 60 years and older
- Splitboarders all ages
Mandatory gear: Racers must carry the following equipment throughout the race.
- Randonee, telemark, or splitboard
- Climbing skins
- Avalanche beacon
- Avalanche probe
- Snow shovel
- Wind-proof jacket or shell
If you are interested in volunteering for the events, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Registration is between 7:00 AM and 9:30 AM.
- Waivers must be signed by all racers at registration
- Race starts at 10:00 AM
- NO late starts. All racers must be in the starting arena prior to 10:00 AM
- Race awards will be at 12:30 PM at the finish arena
- Participants should follow the course as close as possible
- The participants must use climbing skins for ascending, except in designated boot pack sections.
- Passing is allowed in all areas, safety first.
- Any competitor who is caught up to must immediately yield the trail to the faster participant.
- All racers are obligated to come to the aid of a person in danger.
- Check Points (transitions to or from skinning or skiing) will be marked with flags or banners, and will have a course marshal present.
- At each checkpoint, participants must shout their bib number to the Course Marshal and confirm that Course Marshal replies with your correct number.
- The Race Director reserves the right to modify the event and race course at any time for safety reasons.
- In case of withdrawal during the event, the competitor must notify a Race Marshal (via the closest checkpoint) by any means and in the shortest time possible.
- The Organizers reserve the right to force a competitor to withdraw for health or safety reasons.
The Fifth Season will be sponsoring a backcountry ski demo day. Leading companies representing backcountry ski gear are invited to attend. Demo the very best in ski mountaineering/randonee gear available on the market today for no charge (valid driver’s license and credit card required).
Annual Snow Ball
Following the daytime activities will be the 18th Annual Snow Ball at the Mount Shasta City Park featuring live music. Doors open at 5:30 pm. In addition to awesome live music, there will be a silent auction, and a great gear raffle. Appetizers will be provided with local beer and wine available for purchase. Tickets will be sold at The Fifth Season and at the door.